Holistics vs PowerBI
We decided to review Power BI features to understand the differences with Holistics. Overall, both platforms give organizations a mature end-to-end BI solution, however, there are some differences between the 2 products you might want to consider based on your data strategy
- Holistics requires you to have your own data warehouse, however, it provides organizations with a more flexible and scalable BI platform by centralizing the whole data management pipeline and decentralizing data access to everyone in the organization with self-service analytics.
- Power BI is a great BI tool and it’s quite friendly with Excel-users, however, the more you scale the more you will get stuck with Microsoft’s infrastructure, it’s quite cheap in the beginning when your goal is just visualizations but the cost will rise dramatically later when you scale up.
|Functionality ||Holistics ||Power BI |
|Beautiful, interactive visualization || || |
|Fully customizable dashboards || || |
|Embedding into your own application || || |
|Easy-to-use report builder for everyone || || |
|Direct connection to your database || || |
|Reliable, trustworthy insights from centralized data platform || || |
|API Access to the platform || || |
|Mobile Friendly ||Mobile Responsive for Dashboards and Reports ||You need to create separated views for mobile |
|Interactive and Collaborative Data Model || || |
|No Limit on Data Volumes || || |
|Allow everyone to get ad-hoc insights easily from both SQL and Drag & Drop || || |
|Able to fully control the freshness of your data || || |
|100% browser-based, works perfectly on all OS (Mac, Linux, Windows) || || |
|Support SQL natively || || |
|Centralized data definition across organization (data catalogue) || || |
|Designed and architected to utilize scalable data warehouse (big data) infrastructure || || |
|Ability to prepare and transform data and integrate with your existing data warehouse || || |
|Your data lives directly in your database without the need to build extracts || || |
|Technical support available that responds within 24 hours || || |
|Email/Slack Schedule || || |
|Work with detailed, operational table data || || |
|Like and Commenting || || |
Why You Should Choose Holistics over PowerBI
Visualizations & Reporting
- Holistics allows you to work with detailed and operational table data using tabular reports while Power BI tabular reporting is quite limited.
- In Holistics, you can fully control the access of your dashboards and each widget inside, while Power BI doesn’t permit this.
Scalability & Infrastructure
- Holistics is designed to work directly with your database which gives you the full ability to control the security and scalability of your infrastructure, while Power BI does not accept files larger than 250MB and there is a 1GB limit per dataset.
- Holistics provides real-time connection to all of your data sources, while Power BI only supports just a few limited data sources for real-time connection.
- Holistics gives users the ability to fully control the freshness of your database, while Power BI limits the number of scheduled refreshes per day.
- Holistics’s Data Models Layer is fully integrated with your data warehouse, which also gives you the ability to control your data transformation flow.
Agile Data Modeling Approach
- Holistics’s data models layer is built upon your own data warehouse, so it’s more scalable and manageable.
- Holistics is 100% web-based which allows multiple data analysts to work on data modeling together, while Power BI only allows only 1 analyst to develop data modeling layer at a time.
- Holistics uses native SQL so that your data analysts don’t have to learn new languages like in Power BI, which reduces the learning curve and helps your team onboarded faster.
- Holistics is 100% web-based, so everyone in your organization, from data analysts to business, is able to get the insights without installing anything. While with Power BI, your data analysts have to work with Power BI on a Windows machine then publish on the cloud, which creates big friction in getting insights.
Communication & Data Delivery
- Holistics doesn’t have a mobile app, but its dashboards and reports are already mobile-friendly so you can view it on any devices. Power BI has a mobile app, but it only works well with dashboards. For reports, you have to customize each report for each different device.
- Holistics also supports Email/Slack/Alert Schedule, so you can easily schedule to deliver your insights both internally and externally (partners, clients, investors…).
- Both Embedded Features are amazing, however, Holistics Embedded Analytics starts at $300, while Power BI Embedded starts at $700+/month.
- Holistics supports Like & Commenting which helps increase the effectiveness of communication across the team when working with data, while Power BI doesn’t.
- Holistics gives you a clear and predictable pricing model based on your usage, while Power BI gives you a good start, but when scaling up, you have to purchase for Power BI Premium or Azure Infrastructure which costs at least $5000/month.