Holistics is a data platform that allows analysts to deliver powerful analysis insights to end users.
Our product has helped improved data productivities of technology companies across the region (Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, etc). Companies like Grab, Traveloka are our proud unicorn customers among other well funded start-ups such as Tech In Asia, 99.co, ShopBack, KFIT, Aviasales, etc. In Vietnam, we have The Coffee House, OnOnPay among others as customers.
We are growing rapidly and looking for a product engineer to join our team to help build and scale our data platform product. This position will be based in Ho Chi Minh City.
Why You’ll Love Working Here?
- BigData product with high technology
- Young and active team, strong engineering culture
- Good salary and benefits
- We’re a fast growing startup based out of Singapore and HCM. We have a strong engineering culture and understand what it takes to build a scalable software company.
- We are obsessed with code quality and code reusability, we refactor, clean up, and think about how to optimize our code everyday.
- Read how our co-founder designed a data pipeline that handled more than 100M messages a day. Joining us you’ll fully understand the Big Data landscape that people are talking about, down to the smallest technical level.
You’ll be working on all aspects of our product and platform: from front-end visualizations, implementing scalable, data-heavy features, helping customers with their complex SQL, to managing our servers that processed thousands of heavy jobs everyday.
- Design and implement our features from both backend logic to frontend interactions
- Build back-end components that deal with data movement and logic.
Some Cool Things We’ve Done/You Might Do:
- Build an in-house background job queue system using just PostgreSQL and Ruby
- Design and build a generic data connector that works with all major databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Redshift, BigQuery, etc)
- Build an Excel-like Pivot Table interface for slicing and dicing of data
- Build a cohort/retention analysis color-coding table (think Mixpanel/kissmetrics)
- Strong problem solving (most important)
- Experiences with Ruby on Rails/Ruby is a plus
- Have at least 1 year of experiences in Software Development
- Some experiences with Rails, Ruby, PostgreSQL, Redis, SQLs, Vue.js, ES6
- Good English communication skill (reading and writing)
- Both senior and junior positions are welcome
What We Look For In You
- Problem Solving: You don’t just write code based on requirements, you debate the requirements with us.
- Coding: You write good code, you’ve written code that handle a lot of load, and you enjoy optimizing and refactoring your code to make it faster
- Culture & Mindset: You’re a team player; you understand how it’s like working for a startup – doing anything and everything needed (from writing blog posts, to help customers with their data problem)
- Tech Stack: we use Ruby, PostgreSQL, Redis, Vue.js, ES6 and a lot of SQLs. It’s great if you know these, but it’s not a big deal. We’re confident you’ll pick these up quickly on the job.
Basically you will not just implement features based on a task list. We need your original ideas, creativity and critical thinking skills to help us build a great data platform.
Interesting Engineering Projects
- Zero-downtime deployment for long-running background jobs
- Writing a database abstraction layer to interface with different database technologies at once: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redshift, BigQuery, Presto
- Implement alert monitoring system using statistical algorithms
- ETL customer’s data from MongoDB to relational DBs with minimal overhead.
- Parsing SQL into an AST (abstract syntax tree) to understand semantics and suggest optimizations
- Build a sandbox environment to execute arbitrary Python code that still ensures security
Our Interview Process
- We want to know how it feels like to work together. First you’ll see Holistics and how our customers are using it. Later we’ll code together online, or review your solution to an offline code challenge.
- When you come onsite, you’ll pair program with our engineers on Holistics codebase
Our Engineering Culture
- We don’t fancy free food or ping pong table, we focus on building an environment where our engineers can be productive and concentrate on solving good problems
- Our engineers own the product from end to end. They are involved in and get to speak directly with the customers to understand how they’re using it
- We don’t write bad code to rush for deadline. We prefer spending more time refactoring the code over shipping bad code
- Compensation: $800-$1300
- 13th month-salary; Performance review twice a year
- Shares (Stock Options) for high-contributing individuals
- Workstation provided for maximal productivity: Macbook (or Laptop), Leopold FC750R mechanical keyboard, Razer Abyssus V2 computer mouse, 24’ Ultrasharp Monitor
- 24/7 Healthcare Insurance; 14 Annual Leaves/Year
- Active and agile working environment; Weekly happy hours, fruits, snack;
- Weekly TED talks to expand skills and knowledge, games and social sport activities with company; Company trip and company-organized events.
- An Opportunity to work with top-notch experts from around the world.
Working time: from Monday – Friday, from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
Work location: Charmington La Pointe Building, 181, Cao Thang Street, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
We also offer internship position for students and fresh graduates
- 4-6 months - which can lead to full-time work
- Internship is just title - you will be fully responsible for the portion of the product you build and it will be shipped for customer use