A database schema is the blueprints of your database, it represents the description of a database structure, data types, and the constraints on the database. And designing database schemas is one of the very first and important steps to start developing any software/website.
To help you determine the right tool for you to design database schema diagrams, we've curated a list of 5 of the best free online tools to do it.
Pricing: Free with unlimited objects and diagrams
- dbdiagram.io is a quick and simple database designer to help you draw your database diagrams using their own Domain-specific language (DSL).
- They have a simple language to define, you can easily edit/copy without leaving keyboard
- They focus exclusively on drawing database relationship diagrams
- Allow you to save and share your diagrams online.
- Designed for developers, DBA, data analysts
- Their UI looks simple and neat, with pretty diagrams.
Pricing: Free for web-based usage, paid for Atlassian (Confluence/JIRA) apps.
- Draw.io is a free online diagram software for making flowcharts, process diagrams, etc.
- Allows different types of charts like flowcharts, org charts, UML, ER and network diagrams.
- Allows saving your diagrams to cloud storage services like GDrive, Dropbox and OneDrive, or to your own computer
- Visual interfaces not as nice as lucidchart.
Pricing: Free with limited objects, $4.95-$20/month
Lucidchart is cloud-based and collaborative diagram software. Lucidchart helps your team create not only database diagram but also flowcharts, process maps, UML models, org charts,.. on any device across the platform you already use.
Free plan comes with a limit of 3 diagrams and 60 objects per diagram
Good experience and collaborative
Integrated with G Suite, Microsoft Office...
Good if you are more of a designer and want drag-and-drop interface
Pricing: Free (Beta) with unlimited diagrams and objects
- SqlDBM offers you an easy, convenient way to design your database absolutely anywhere on any browser, working away without need for any extra database engine or database modelling tools or apps.
- They incorporates any needed database rules and objects such as database keys, schemas, indexes, column constraints and relationships
- Only support MySQL and MS SQL
- Support Forward Engineering and Reverse Engineering
- 100% drag and drop UI
- Support version history
Pricing: free for 1 public diagram and 10 tables, plans at $14/month for unlimited tables and private diagrams.
- QuickDBD helps you quickly draw a diagram using just text input.
- It quickly captures ideas, and you can draw schema diagrams using only the keyboard.
- Support exporting to SQL, PDF and Word
Subscribe to Holistics Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox
From SQL Queries To Beautiful Charts
Connect to your database and build beautiful charts with Holistics BILearn More
"Holistics is the solution to the increasingly many and complex data requests from the operational teams"
Tang Yee Jie
Senior Data Analyst, Grab